Monday, August 07, 2006

A prayer about learning answered


This evening as we were sitting around the living room, (James, the kids, and I), a prayer that I prayed this morning was answered. It was answered yes, and pretty quickly!
I had prayed that God would allow our spiritual lives to be such a part of our everyday lives, that the children couldn't help but be inundated with all the spiritual knowledge we could share with them. James had been reading a little book to all 5 of them about some kittens for sale, but he of course made up his own words for the pictures that were much more interesting than the book, and had all five of them, ages 2 to 10, laughing. I had to get out the video camera for the last few pages. Then I picked up a book that I'd gotten from the kids section of the library as an intro to the history of money. I myself was curious about it, and figured it would be good info for the kids to know as well. So, even before I could begin reading it myself, I had Savannah, my 6 year old, and Travis my 8 year old, sitting beside me wanting me to read it to them. As I started reading, my 10 year old, Jesse became interested and followed along as well.
It ended with how only 8% of money in circulation is currently bills and coins. The other 92% is computer recorded transfers. Then we began discussing how the Bible talks about the number 666 being in the skin of the forehead or the hand and being used for money, and how the computer chip as big as a grain of rice is already being imbedded in people. Some use it even to open their house locks, and to pay for things.
This brought Jesse to worrying about how he wasn't sure he was comfortable with the idea of living forever, and how would that be? This led to an hour long discussion of eternity, heaven, and hell, what we might look and feel like in eternity, and then into, "How do we know what we believe is right?" This discussion about faith and evidence led Jesse to ask "How do we know we even have the right Bible?"
That question turned into a 10 to 15 minute history lesson from the 1500's to the 1600's, including King James, and how the King James Bible was written and translated from the Greek and Hebrew. During which James explained how all other Bibles were written in Latin so only the priests and such could read it. This was why King James wanted it in English, so that the common people could read it.
The mention of Latin prompted questions from both Jesse and Travis about the latin language. "Where did it come from?", "Who uses it or used it?", "What are some examples of Latin?"
I wish I'd written about this directly after the conversation so that the whole list of things we discussed could be recorded. But I had to read Jaidyn a story to keep her quiet so Dad and Jesse could continue discussing (and Travis could listen uninterrupted). Then I had to put her to bed. But at least for a while, I got to sit in on, and input some into an hour long (probably comparable to the best college lecture/discussions) discourse on Biblical history, Latin Language, spiritual belief, faith (what it is, and how it's used), vocabulary (Jesse learned the definition of many words including scholar), and got to see how much he already knew.
He knew the defenition of faith. We asked him what it was and confirmed it, and if Travis didn't know it already, he found out last night.
This entire conversation was held by Jesse, James, and Travis. James would stop talking, assuming that maybe Jesse wasn't interested anymore because he wasn't looking directly at him. Then Jesse would come up with another question. He'd just been sitting there contemplating what his dad was saying.
I felt privileged and excited to be the mom of such a family! A family who discusses important issues pertinent to our spiritual and physical lives. A family who shares our thoughts, not holding back for fear of anything. A family who allows our children to learn and grow as naturally as God intended them to. With our guidance, pointing them towards Him when they ask questions and are truly interested, NOT our shoving things down their throats that they are not ready for. I love our "unschooled" lives....

No comments: