Monday, November 13, 2006

Smart kids

Today I had a chance to discuss unschooling with someone, and they brought up a point again that I have had other people say to me. Some people tend to think, when they hear all of the 'educational' things my kids do, that they must do these things because they are smart. I've had family and total strangers make this observation.
First off, I would like to say, Yes! I think my kids are smart! :)
BUT. capital B, capital U, capital T.... they do not do all these educational things JUST because they are smart kids! I sincerely believe it is because they have had the freedom to think for themselves. I do not push them to come up with all the things that they do. Their uncle introduced them to the HeroClix game that provides a lot of their superior Math skills. Their drive as young boys provides them with the desire to play this game because it's about playing war with super heroes! I just sit back and watch! This passion has lasted for a good 3 or 4 months now. The boys know that I am happy that it teaches them Math skills, but they are not against it, because it is fun for them, and I don't say, "OK, boys! Time to learn your math! Go get out the HeroClix!" I sincerely believe that if I did that, they would tire quickly of the game, because it wouldn't be their choice when to do it. It would become "schoolwork".
Their passion before HeroClix was the Pokemon card game. It too was a game that provided Math skills, and logic skills, not to mention great reading skills! I sat back and watched them enjoy themselves and learn all at the same time.
Neopets online is the kids latest passion. They all have their own, and the older boys even get online themselves to do it. (after they've ok'd it with me). I get online with Savannah and Aaron to help them with theirs. This is another game that teaches a lot through fun. Reading, economics, math, and so much more. They have to get online every so often to feed their neopets to keep them alive, and then they have opportunity to play games, one of which is figuring out anagrams, to get money to buy things for thier neopets.. Hence the economics (how much do I have, and how much do I want to spend on a given object), and the Math, (now I have to figure out how much I can afford).
Kids learn sooo much through play. See my next post for an article from a "professional with a degree" on this subject! :)
Anyway, back to the original subject. ALL KIDS ARE SMART! Kids just have different interests at different times in their lives. We all know that eveyone is different. So, why do we think that everyone should follow the same curriculum at the same time in their lives? Why can't a child follow the lead of his interests, and be allowed to naturally soak in the "educational" stuff that way? Isn't that how they learned to walk and talk? Did we make them take classes (or go to therapy) if they didn't walk or talk by a certain age?
My kids ARE smart. But a lot of the learning they have done takes place because they are interested in it at the time. It does NOT require a certain type of kid to unschool. It just takes a parent who is willing to have faith in our natural ability as humans to learn, to take the time out of their day to share their experience and knowledge with their kids, and to be humble enough and willing to look things up if they don't know the answer. I like how someone put it... "trying to teach a parent how to teach their kid (homeschool them), is like trying to teach a fish to swim - not much training required."
So please. Don't think that your kid has to be "smart" to homeschool! Although in fact, your kid IS smart! He/she has a God-given natural ability to learn. It's just that after so many years of being forced to learn things that aren't right for them at the time, or even a short period of being forced for some kids, they lose interest in "learning". It has become a drudgery.
Or the fact could be that your child may not be ready for a certain area that you are desiring them to learn in. Maybe just give them the time to mature, like you did when they were a baby, and didn't have as many teeth as some other kids their age. You just waited and trusted that they would eventually get their teeth. The other people's kid wasn't "smarter" because he got his first. Or walked first, or talked first, or recognized people first, or waved Hi first, etc, etc, etc...
You just knew that each kid developes at their own rate, and didn't get worried or upset about it. Reclaim that ability. Don't listen to the "experts" who say that your child is "behind" if they don't know a certain thing at the same time "the majority" does. Just relax. Enjoy life with your kids, and be amazed at how smart they are in what they do now!

No comments: