Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My kids' choices

This month, I felt good enough to be able to take my kids out of PS, to homeschool them again. Travis and Aaron were elated, and Jesse and Savannah have chosen to stay in PS! I was a little surprised at Savannah, but feel completely wonderful about supporting her in making her own choices. We discuss her reluctance to go at times, the reasons why, problems with friends, her dislike of sitting in one room for most of the day... but overall, she chooses to stay. She likes some of the schoolwork, and she enjoys feeling independent, I think. She enjoys getting out of the house, and riding the bus (most days). Some days she asks us to drive her. I am just overjoyed at seeing my kids making their own choices.
Jesse is almost 13, is sprouting a mustache, and is enjoying hanging out with his peers, and blowing by most of the students in his class academically. After 3 years of unschooling, I might add. I loved telling his teachers what we'd been doing, when they told me at the first Parent/Teacher meeting that "Whatever you've been doing, it's been great! Jesse is one of the highest students in our class!" :) Hah! I could have laughed out loud to see the confusion on their faces when I told them we'd not done any textbooks, played video games, watched movies and went to museums.... I still smile thinking about it.
It seems that 7th graders get more freedom than 1st, 3rd, or 5th graders. Jesse gets freedom to eat in one of his classes, and seems to get a lot more interaction with his peers. Could be his outlook, though. He's suddenly popped out of his quietness, and become the happy go lucky teenager... :) Anyway, I love it that they are all enjoying their lives.

No comments: