Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Toddler/Little Kid Dreams

I love observing my kids grow and learn. One of the best things is when they figure out what dreams are. When my first daughter was 3 or so, she woke up one morning, and announced to me, that she had seen 'pictures in her head'! :)
I was reminded of that this morning when my 4.5 year old daughter Jaidyn, came into the office, and explained a very interesting realization that she had. Earlier this morning, she had told me that she had heard a beeping from the little round thing with the button on it while she was in bed. We discussed it a little more, as she wanted to know if there was a fire, and I realized it was the smoke alarm she was talking about. She wanted to know why it was beeping, and since it's not going off right now, I figured that the battery may be getting low, and told her so. We didn't discuss it anymore for about 20 minutes, and then she came downstairs, and told me that she'd realized that it had been a dream! There hadn't been any real beeping from the smoke alarm while she was in bed.
How did she figure this out? Well, she said that in her dream, the round thing with the light was on the ground. And she'd just looked up in real life and saw that it was on the ceiling. :) Therefore, she deduced that it must have been a dream. I told her that she was pretty smart to have figured that out. It is always so impressive to watch their little intellects grow untaught!! :)
A thought occurred to me after that. What if I'd said to her, "Oh Jaidyn, the smoke alarm is not beeping. You must have imagined that."? What if I'd assumed that little kids make stories up just because? What if I hadn't BELIEVED her? I may not have had the chance to see that little bit of magic happening in my child. I'm so glad that this trust I have in my heart is now here. When I first began my parenting journey, it wasn't. What a glorious change.
Thanks, Jaidyn, my first always free, undominated child!

No comments: