Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Travis' Friday the 13th Learning

Last Friday, I took the younger 3 kids out to McDonald's to play while I discussed birth and becoming a doula with a new friend.
Travis stayed home. Before we left, we were reading a History book and discussing why History is important to learn about, how it repeats itself, and also began discussing social justice. We talked about how leveling out the populace may or may not be fair to people depending on which person you are. I asked him to explain social justice in a competition to me, and he described a race where each person got weighted down equally to attempt to make the race fair. We then discussed the what ifs, such as, what if one of the runners was a 250lb. muscle man, and one was a lazy person who sat on the couch all the time, and one was a small framed girl who weighed only 100 lbs., and so on... I suggested that you adjust the weights to make it equally difficult for each runner, and we decided that that would be the best way to offer social justice in a running race.
I went to Mcdonald's, and Trav stayed home. Later in the weekend, he asked me, "Who's that black guy who was killed, and he tried to make things more fair for black people? And before him, wasn't it a fact that blacks had to eat on a different side of the resteraunt than whites?" That was Martin Luther King, I replied, and a discussion ensued, based on the fact that he'd spend that Friday the 13th, watching court cases on TV, and someone had mentioned Martin Luther King. History, with no prompting!

No comments: